Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Raindrops revised"

I was three years old. Outside my Washington apartment was a swing-set. But it was raining. My cabin fever had set in, so I asked Mom if I could play outside. After a five-minute debate on the conditions outside, she let me go. With my shoes on, out the door I went. The world was dripping with emerald and dew. At the swing-set was a boy. I stopped and waited, remembering that it was polite to wait, to be invited. He then looked at me and garbled, “You going to swing or what?” Immediately I was on the swing next to him, my legs performing in a pendulum motion.Just then, the boy looked above my head in horror. I lifted my head and saw a huge, ugly spider. I slid off the swing, and like a knight, he crushed that spider with a stick. Tearing at the web, the silk enveloped the stick like cotton candy. After saving my life from the spider, he dashed home. Hot on his heals, I cried, ”Come back my hero!: My first crush was not long lived. After a quick chase, he slipped into his apartment, locked the door and stuck his tongue out at me.

This memory foreshadowed my future. To this day, I am terrified of spiders and I still do not have luck with the men. I suppose the moral of this memory is “Along came the spider that sat down beside her, and she frightened that poor boy away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment